Marty concentrates his practice in patent and trademark filings, IP litigation and transactional matters. He has represented individuals, small corporations and large corporations in patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, and unfair competition matters. He has also assisted his clients with licensing and employer-employee disputes involving ownership of rights to intellectual property.
His experience in IP law has been diverse -representing clients in software and internet-based technologies, financial exchange trading technologies, banking transaction technologies, medical devices, gasoline pumping technologies, cell phone communications and broadcast technologies.
Marty is admitted to practice in the State of Illinois and before the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois and the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Marty earned his undergraduate degree (B.S.) in Aeronautical & Astronautical Engineering from the United States Military Academy at West Point. After his service in the U.S. Army, Marty earned his law degree (J.D.) from the Northwestern University School of Law. Marty has also been a partner at Katten Muchin Rosenman and Chief Patent Counsel at leading peripheral vascular and neurovascular medical device manufacturer, ev3, Inc.
- Metasearch Systems, LLC v. KAYAK Software Corporation (patent infringement action involving numerous defendants and patents regarding internet metasearching)
- Springboard Medical Ventures, LLC v. American Medical Systems, Inc. (patent infringement and theft of trade secret action regarding surgically implanted incontinence slings)
- Fractus, S.A. v. Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., et al. (representing SANYO Electric Co., Ltd. And SANYO North America Corporation) (patent infringement action involving numerous defendants and patents regarding multiband cellphone antenna technology)
- TurboChef Technologies, et al. v. Garland Commercial Industries, LLC, et al. (patent infringement action involving high speed, multi-heat source commercial ovens)
- SMART Technologies ULC v. NextWindow Ltd. (patent infringement action involving touch screen optical tracking technology)
- Better Education, Inc. v. SMART Technologies ULC, et al. (patent infringement action involving interactive student teaching devices)
- FE Petro Inc. v. The Marley Company; The Marley Company v. FE Petro Inc. and Charles C. Franklin (patent infringement, theft of trade secret, false advertising and unfair competition action involving petroleum pumping and delivery technology)
- The Marley Company v. Franklin Electric Co. and FE Petro (arbitration action involving breach of contract)
- The Bradbury Company, Inc. v. ASC Machine Tools, Inc. (patent infringement action involving sheet metal forming machines)
- KSE, Inc. v. Trojan Technologies, Inc. (arbitration action regarding UV process to purify drinking water)
- Cobra Electronics Corporation v. The Whistler Group, Inc. (trademark and trade dress action involving radar detectors)
- Solaia Technology LLC v. Miller Brewing Company, et al. (patent infringement action involving programmable logic controllers in the manufacturing process)
- TAH Industries, Inc. v. Bainbridge Timbercreek, Inc. (patent infringement action involving static mixers for chemicals)
- TAH Industries, Inc. v. Sulzer Mixpac (German litigation)(patent infringement action involving static mixers for chemicals)
- Lyndex Corporation v. Heartech Precision, Inc. et al. (patent infringement action involving machine shop drill collars)
- Weather Central, Inc. v. WSI Corporation d/b/a Weather Services International (patent infringement action involving weather newscaster green screen tracking technology)